Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Sorry I've been out of touch!

 Trying to get three kids ready for college and getting them there is a huge, time-consuing task -- one that I don't wish on anyone!  Anyway...............

The countdown is SO on!  32 days to go.  I can't believe it. 

I learned I was going to Everest Base Camp in August of 2012.  Over a year of training and preparation has led me to this point.  I think I'm ready.  I'm nervous and excited, and have decided that if anything stops me it will be the altitude. 

Physically I'm in the best shape ever so I don't think my body will give out.  I'll be taking Diamox for the altitude. Don't ask me what it does because it's very complicated, but basically it increases your excretion of carbon dioxide -- thereby making room for more oxygen.

I'm taking a final training hike this weekend with the Summit4StemCell group.  We're going to the Eastern Sierras where we'll camp for three days and do some amazing hikes, peaking out at 12,00+ feet.  I'll be putting Diamox to the test!

I'm starting to assemble my gear and am figuring out what I still need.  I'm prepared for rain, cold, snow, sunburn, tetanus/malaria/hepatitis, and Everest Revenge. 

I'll post pics of the Sierras trip next week.  Just wanted you to know that I'm alive and well, and that I go to Everest in only 32 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment