Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Waskawy Miwacle Of The Wacky Machine

Have you guys ever heard of a CPAP machine?  It's used for people with sleep apnea, which I have thanks to Parkinson's.  Simply put, I stop breathing during the night.  About 25 times a night.  It's not very good for you.  In fact, it can shorten your life (just add it to the list!).  I snore, too.  Loudly.*

I wore the thing for a while, but after I started chemo in late 2011 I put it on the shelf.  As I said in my last blog, I've been feeling pretty rotten lately.  Very tired and lethargic, with some progression of my PD symptoms.

So I decided to try the CPAP again.  It has a full-face mask that makes me look like I'm in surgery; the mask is attached to a long hose that goes to the CPAP.  I have to lie on my back -- no side sleeping.  You get used to it. 

After just a week or so I feel so much better.  I have more energy, I'm not so tired, my mind is sharper.  Huge benefits with a  small trade off.  The downside is that I can't take it everywhere -- electricity is a must.  What, no CPAP at Everest?  My fellow trekkers are in for a rude surprise.


*A side note.  When I did the Avon walk recently we slept in tents the first night.  My sweet friend Heather occasionally tapped me and said softly, "Ev, you're snoring, sweetie.  Roll over."  And I did.  My campground mates weren't as sweet.  Sometime in the middle of the night someone came and hit me on the head through the tent!  Just smacked me!  I guess I was pretty loud. . . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment