Friday, April 26, 2013

Going Walking

One week from tomorrow, on May 5, I will be doing the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in Washington, D.C.  It's a two-day thing -- 39 miles in two days.  We start and finish at the Washington Monument, and we camp out in Chevy Chase, Maryland Saturday night.  The route will take us past many of the monuments in D.C. -- places for inspiration and courage!

I did this once before, in 2000, when I lived in San Francisco.  I finished radiation earlier that year after my first bout with breast cancer.  It wasn't that difficult, really, except for the blisters.

Now, though, I think it will be a good challenge (and great training for Everest!).  I'm 13 years older and my joints aren't what they used to be.  I've had breast cancer again, I have Parkinson's Disease, and all of the lovely symptoms that go with it.  The good news is that I'm in great physical shape so I shouldn't be exhausted. 

Just think; in 2000 I walked through San Francisco, ending at the Marina near the Golden Gate Bridge.  This year?  Our nation's capital.

Memo to self:  take Motrin, moleskin, tape, and plenty of bandaids. I'll post photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment