Sunday, December 30, 2012

Sayonara, 2012

It seems that 2012 was an annus horribilus for many people I know.  Illness, death, loss, and despair seemed to dominate.  Getting older is a double-edged sword; I get wiser and more content and comfortable in my own skin, but I also get closer to the more permanent events of life.  Coming full circle, as they say.

2012 held for me the continuation of many difficulties, the beginning of some, and yes, the end of others.  I'm sure I've mentioned them one too many times and I try very hard not to dwell on them.  But it seems that serious and tragic events have dominated my life, and that of those whom I love, for far too long.

On a bigger and immeasurable scale are the tragedies we all have suffered this year.  The mass shootings at an elementary school, a movie theater, a Sikh temple in Wisconsin, and at an intentionally-set fire in small town New York.  The enormous suffering of the victims of Hurricane Sandy and the ongoing loss of so many young heroes as they fight for......?.   My heart has broken so many times this year.

Yet we all march on, embraced by the constant belief that tomorrow will be better than today.  What choice do we have?  Eternal pessimism?  Ignoring the inevitable and the unpredictable?  What kind of life is that?   We take the good with the bad and for me that is never more true than now, as I near the precipice of the big 6-0.

Back to my small part of the world.  I'm about done with the bumps in the road.  I've crossed more than my fair share.  Nevertheless, knowing that life marches on and my future is completely unknown, there will undoubtedly be more sadness and loss for me and those I love.  That circle of life thing. 

So I have plans for 2013.  I'm going to take more chances.   I'm going to look forward to the future, rather than being afraid of it.  I'm going to cautiously embrace things that used to scare me (except for snakes). I'm going to fill the empty spaces of time with things that I like to do.  I know with certainty that my circle is not yet full.

So in the immortal words of Timon and Pumba, hakunah matata.  A Happy New Year to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment