Sunday, July 21, 2013

Part Deux, Day Deux

Today was the Coronado National Forest.  The Webb/Ash trails go to 10,000 feet and change.    About a 2.5 hour drive, and we stopped at BK for some breakfast.  Rick at his finest.

Off we went with our bellies full of sausage burritos.  We arrived at the Columbine trailhead, Rick's hiking choice of the day.  We started out somewhere around 7,200+ feet.  The nicest man runs the visitor center, only open on Saturdays and Sundays.

And we went out for our "three hour tour......a three hour tour......"

And by the way, message to the National Park Service:  your signage SUCKS.  1.75 miles my ASS!

I had no idea that Arizona had such different and beautiful terrain. We hiked among fir, aspen, and pine trees, ferns, and other wet climate flora and fauna you would never expect -- like columbine flowers.







What a tough hike.  Lots of fallen trees, rocks, and other obstacles that typically have been my sworn enemy. Nonetheless, all went well and without incident. 





 
Until we lost the trail. Again.  The damn thing just disappeared at about 9,500 feet or so. By this time, about 2.5 hours into the hike, the altitude was getting to be a bit.  Headache, mostly.  I slowed down (slower than usual) and the symptoms subsided.

Ultimately we made it to the top of Webb Peak -- 10,029 feet!



Back down safely and home by 6:00.  I proved to myself that I can hike at altitude with few problems.  At the end of the day I was tired and a bit sore, but satisfied and a little proud of myself.  Tomorrow -- sleep in then figure it out!






No comments:

Post a Comment