Sunday, March 31, 2013

Hiking The Beautiful Shenandoah

Five days and counting until the kickoff for the Training Hike Season for Everest.  San Diego/Poway, California, Saturday April 6th. 

In preparation for same, and with an eye toward not embarrassing myself, I'm hiking like a madwoman.  Saturday my friend Don and I headed to the Shenandoah to see what we could find.  After many wrong turns (one of them a little scary), we got to the top of the White Oak Trail.  Snow everywhere!  The idea was to hike down the the trail head then go back up. 

I made it, but barely.  About 4 hours or so.  Easy first 1/2, but the "hike down then go back up" part was tricky -- the "up" was literally all up.  For about 2 hours.  Up, I said. 

The snow was difficult -- lots more slogging, being very careful about my footing.  Should have brought my crampons!  (Only half kidding.)  Anyway, here are some nice pics from a great hike.  The photo of the waterfall doesn't do it justice.  We were on a ledge well above the fall (I'm terrible at judging distance, but it was pretty high).  This shot was from that ledge looking down at the fall.  It was magnificent!




No comments:

Post a Comment